Jean Fantine, St. Kitts, 1689Fernando Ruiz Miniatures
Sculpture: Pedro Fernández
Painting: Fernando Ruiz
Number of parts of the kit: 4
– It is hard to find another subject with a personality as cool as the character of this one.
– The detailing level of this Pedro Fernandez’s sculpture is something really crazy. Every single aspect of it has been carefully researched and crafted.
– There are a few cool pirate captains out there, but this massive portray of the subject works best in the 1/12 scale we do. Otherwise you would be painting it forever!
– It allows a lot of room for interpretation for painting.
– Our signature resin quality allows you to get the figure clean and ready in almost no time, so you may invest your precious free time in what really matters: painting and having fun.
The Golden Age of Piracy is a period that goes roughly from 1650 to 1730. During these years, the pirate activity in America and also the coasts of Africa saw a notable rise, due to several factors, like the ill efficiency of most colonial governments, an expansion of transcontinental commerce and the many experienced sailors left unemployed after the War of the Spanish Succession that is considered by many historians the first “world war” in the true sense of the term.
Jean Fantin was a French pirate who operated in the Caribbean and the Western Coast of Africa. In 1689, he joined forces with the French buccaneer Jean-Baptiste du Casse and decided to start raiding the Cape Verde islands. After a short stay there, their ships, Le Hasardeux and Le Sainte Rose set sail again for the Caribbean, specially aiming to the Dutch and English colonies.
In the summer of 1689, they attacked and sacked St. Kitts, but they had an unexpected surprise waiting to unfold; the famous pirates William Kidd and Robert Culliford stole Fantin’s ship, leaving the French buccaneer crew stranded.
Our bust portrays this character during the sack of St. Kitts. We have imagined him, mocking the prisoners while wearing a luxurious coat and wig stolen from a rich local trader. It can be painted in lots of different ways.